Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trans won't shift
hqbibb
post Dec 7 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,108

Working on getting my 914 back on the road. Installed the rebuilt tranny, but when trying to adjust linkages, couldn't get it to select gears. Dropped the rear shift coupler, and tried to select gears with the selector on the tranny (side shift). Found two problems:

1) Shifter is in neutral - will move in&out (up&down) through entire range, no resistance, no binding. BUT... Try to start the car, it's in *some* gear. Starter can barely turn it over. Push in clutch, starts fine. Let clutch out wheels turn. Guess is 4th or 5th based on how fast they turn relative to engine RPM, but I could easily be wrong.

2) With shift linkage disconnected, can move shift selector on the transmission through the neutral gate, no problem, but can only select reverse. No other gear can be selected. Feels like everything is locked up - no movement at all when turning the selector. As I understand it, that suggests the 3 shift rods are correctly aligned in the neutral position, but something is out of adjustment and one of them is actually in gear.

I'm guessing shift rods out of whack - anybody with more tranny experience got some suggestions before I yank it off & start disassembling? Plan is to pull tranny, disassemble to get intermediate plate, shafts & gear stacks out, put it on the bench & see if I can figure out what's not right.

Tranny rebuilt by a reputable guy, but due to finances and life events, it's been sitting on the shelf for long enough I don't figure I can go back to him.

Thanks for any advice anybody has.

Henry Bibb
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:44 AM