Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OK so I got the cylinder head off..., ...But need some help understanding what I'm seeing.
Nozzle
post Jan 18 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,725
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Quick background: With 100k miles on the car, previous owner had motor rebuilt back in 1985. Engine now has about 30K miles and started blowing oil into the intake plenum bigtime and running poorly. I checked the compression and got 73 PSI in cylinder three with 145-150 in the others. Did a valve adjustment (most were slightly tight but not bad) and compression came up to 80 PSI in number three with the others staying about the same.

Dropped the engine today, pulled the head on cylinders 3 and 4 and here's what I found:

Combustion chamber #3 cylinder

Attached Image

Here's chamber for #4 cylinder for comparison

Attached Image

Not sure if it's related but exhaust valve spring for cylinder #3 was discolored with what looks like burned oil while the rest looked nice and shiny

Attached Image

Cylinder 3 piston and bore

Attached Image

And cylinder 4 piston for comparision

Attached Image

I'm thinking leaking rings on cylinder 3 is the cause of the oil in the plenum and inside the cylinders as the valves in that cylinder seem to look OK unless I'm mission something. Very interesting in hearing any thoughts as this my first time going inside the engine like this.

Thanks,

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:40 AM