Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How does our brake system actually work?
stugray
post Jan 22 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I have witnessed one racing brake failure and recently heard about another one recently that is making me wonder about our brakes and how they work.

Based on the brake system schematic in the Haynes manual (page 110), it appears that our system has a "front circuit" and a "rear circuit".
It looks as if the front & rear connect to separate chambers in the master cylinder.
Each chamber is driven by a separate piston, but connected to the same shaft (they cannot move independently).

So if the above is true, then if you snapped off a front brake line (what happened to my brother) the front circuit would be dead, but the rear circuit should still be able to build pressure and stop the car (although not nearly as quickly).

Same goes for breaking a rear line, you should still have front brakes.

However this makes me ask two questions:
1 - How can you possibly put a brake bias valve into a system like that?
I thought brake bias valves worked by allowing you to divert more pressure to the front and less to the rear (or vice versa), but if the front & rear systems are completely independent, then this would not work.

2 - If one system remains operational if the other fails, then WHY does the pedal go to the floor if you open one bleeder valve?

Confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:03 PM