Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Intake Air Temperature, To calculate potential power loss due to increased temp
pvollma
post Feb 20 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

As an experiment, I set up my grill meat thermometer with the probe right in front of the air intake on my stock 76 2.0, with the digital display stashed above the passenger seat (probe cord was only long enough to reach there). Wish I had one of the wireless ones, but maybe next time. I then drove the car about 20 miles on the interstate. The device can be set to a desired temperature, and will beep when that temperature is reached. I set it to 130 degrees, and it started beeping about a mile before I got off, and continued to beep for a minute or so after that. The ambient air temperature was about 40 degrees, so that's at least a 90 degree increase, or about a 10% horsepower loss if you use the SAE formula for dyno correction of 1.1% for every 10 degree increase in temperature.

This is a follow-on from my post asking about experiences with a guy selling a cold air intake kit, but I'd be curious if my experience can be duplicated by others. It would seem like getting cold(er) air to the intake would be a good improvement to make.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:36 PM