Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Some more Q's (Updates), Backfires and spitting through carb on 1 side
Moneypit
post Apr 28 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,360
Region Association: Southwest Region

Okay, so I've sat down and started trying to plan where I want to go with the 914. I've got a few dillemas and questions, and could use some advice, criticism, whatever floats your boat.

Firstly, motor is a 2.0 rebuilt with slightly higher compression than stock, and has a cam set up for carburetors (I have the details from Dan around here somewhere). In the pre-Ethanol days, this would not have bothered me one bit. However, I feel like the Webers in the past were always a PITA, between throttle linkage, synchronizing, stuff like floats, jets, needles, etc. Now that Ethanol is being pushed more and more, I'm hearing these issues that it can eat away at older rubber lines and other materials, break down if it sits too long, cause rust in fuel tanks, the list goes on. So my first dilemma then is to keep the carbs, or ditch? Can I "ethanol proof" the Webers, ie replace any rubber with newer materials, brass? What about the floats themselves? I Really, Really loved the sound of the carbs, but I am wondering whether there is a better solution? Stock FI bits are long gone btw.

Following onto the question of keeping/ditching the carbs, lets say I did ditch them, would Megasquirt or something work well with the cam? If I understand correctly a carb-specced cam would have a longer duration than the stock FI cam. I'm wondering if Megasquirt or another standalone FI can take advantage of that?

Secondly, I have the Empi 8-spoke style wheels, which I really dig. How strong are these? I can try and get some pics of them at some point to verify brand and everything if needed, but I'd heard in the past the "Riviera" wheels on my old 1.8 weren't very strong, and weren't recommended for autocross or heavy turning loads. I don't plan to autocross, however I do like to drive somewhat aggressively at times, and do want to try and do a track day at COTA sometime. Are the Empi's fine for that, or is there another similar looking alternative that's stronger?

Third, I'm also hung up on paint. The car is white right now, with an attempted creamsicle LE style job on the rockers and doors. Bumpers are chrome, front valance is stock but beat up. At one point I tried to mock up some paint schemes, but with the body being white and me not being willing to strip the car completely down for painting, I am thinking that she's going to have to stay white. I like the 2-tone LM style paint, but I don't want to make a "fake" LM car. What other color combos might look good with white, but leaving the wheels white? The wheels are already white but I figured I'd strip them down and refinish them. Not sure I want the wheels to be trim color. At one point I thought of a blue, that would be somewhat unique. Also wouldn't go with the Porsche lettering in proper NARP fashion. Just 914 badging where appropriate.

Last (for now), I plan to delete the center console, but I want to retain the gauges as in the heat down here I want to be able to keep a good eye on all the vitals. Are there some good sources for mounting some engine gauges under the dash, that will still have a 60's/70's Porsche racing look? In the interior I kind of wanted to go classic Porsche racing theme, with the bare Rennshift, maybe redo the doors "RS" style with simple door pulls/latches, pull the heat/AC controls since I have no Heat Exchangers, etc. Might try a stealth or retro-look modern stereo for the longer trips. Any reccomendations for 904 style or similar gauges? Maybe a 917 style shift ball for the Rennshift?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Moneypit   Some more Q's (Updates)   Apr 28 2014, 10:00 AM
r_towle   so, no matter what you decide for a fuel system, ...   Apr 28 2014, 10:15 AM
Moneypit   Thanks. I'll dig up the specs Dan printed out ...   Apr 28 2014, 10:49 AM
r_towle   for Webers, Google Redline weber They are the dist...   Apr 28 2014, 11:31 AM
dcecc1968   Good questions. Looking forward to seeing respons...   Apr 28 2014, 12:30 PM
Moneypit   Good questions. Looking forward to seeing respon...   Apr 29 2014, 08:11 AM
Dtjaden   Here is another source for Weber parts and rebuild...   Apr 29 2014, 08:28 AM
PanelBilly   Anybody else here have the need to start chanting ...   Apr 29 2014, 08:42 AM
aircooledtechguy   If you keep the Webers, ditch the X-bar linkage in...   Apr 29 2014, 09:03 AM
Moneypit   If you keep the Webers, ditch the X-bar linkage i...   Apr 29 2014, 09:07 AM
r_towle   Replace rubber lines under the gas tank.   Apr 29 2014, 06:46 PM
Moneypit   Pulled the spare Webers out of the trunk, and eyeb...   Apr 29 2014, 10:22 PM
Moneypit   Update: had to look up the right names, but here i...   Apr 29 2014, 11:41 PM
Moneypit   ***UPDATE*** After getting some more time on the ...   May 7 2014, 07:39 AM
ThePaintedMan   Can you show us pics of the linkage? What you...   May 7 2014, 07:54 AM
Moneypit   Can you show us pics of the linkage? What you...   May 7 2014, 08:10 AM
r_towle   It's carbs Linkage and or dirty idle jets, or ...   May 7 2014, 08:09 AM
rhodyguy   i would buy the synchronizing tool FIRST. determin...   May 7 2014, 08:17 AM
r_towle   First off, remove and clean the idle jets....see i...   May 7 2014, 08:22 AM
rhodyguy   does the engine smooth out when you increase the r...   May 7 2014, 08:28 AM
Moneypit   does the engine smooth out when you increase the ...   May 7 2014, 08:36 AM
Moneypit   Thanks guys! I was thinking the same the more ...   May 7 2014, 08:33 AM
stugray   You need to specify if you have a tail shift or ...   May 7 2014, 08:39 AM
r_towle   Clean Your Jets   May 7 2014, 08:43 AM
rhodyguy   aircooled.net sells the STE synchronizing tool for...   May 7 2014, 08:55 AM
Moneypit   aircooled.net sells the STE synchronizing tool fo...   May 7 2014, 08:58 AM
stugray   Missing at higher RPMs can also mean that your diz...   May 7 2014, 08:56 AM
bdstone914   If you have a side shift engine bar they are easil...   May 7 2014, 09:11 AM
Moneypit   If you have a side shift engine bar they are easi...   May 7 2014, 09:16 AM
ThePaintedMan   It sounds like you have your hands full. Not tryin...   May 7 2014, 09:17 AM
Moneypit   It sounds like you have your hands full. Not tryi...   May 7 2014, 09:32 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 06:51 AM