Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need help finalizing carb/ignition choice, 2.0 8.5:1 CR, Euro 94mm pistons, 44 IDFs, unk Street carb cam
Moneypit
post May 1 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,360
Region Association: Southwest Region

After spending the last few days on Google, 914World, Pelican, ShopTalk, and wherever else, I think I've got an idea of what I need to do with my carbs, but I wanted to validate my findings first. There are still some unknowns again on the motor, as the original rebuild specs went AWOL. We are still digging for them!

To start, motor is a 2.0 with Euro pistons. Before rebuild, compression was extremely high for pump gas and blew head gaskets out. Motor has a cam for carbs, but since I can't find the specs for it, let's briefly assume it's equivalent to whatever WebCam's street carb cam is. Not a super agressive cam from what I remember, just that Dan said it was definitely a carb for cams and would work well for the motor. Compression was brought down to a little more than stock but should be fine on pump, especially if I just run premium as I expected to anyways.

Current 44 IDFs on the car are the later Spain mfg. I don't know what's inside them as far as jets, but I'm going to assume they are running out-of-the-box 914 kit, as the poor bottom end seems to match the description based on my memory.

Second set of 44 IDFs appear to be original Italian mfg. They have 36 Venturi, 175 air, unk emulsion, unk idle, 50 pump jets.

My plan is to rebuild and use the Italian made set. I am lining up all the jets and vents based on a 2007 thread, and wanted to verify these numbers are still correct based on your experiences and whatever developments between now and then:

$8.95 ea x4 32mm venturi
32 Vent @ CB

$15.95 ea x4 F 7 emulsion tube
F7 emulsion @ CB

$3.95 ea x4 2.00 air correction jets
2.00 Air correction jets @ CB

$3.95 ea x4 .50 idle jets
.50 Idle Jets @ CB

$3.95 ea x4 1.30 main jets
1.30 Main Jets @ CB

Where my additional questions come in are regarding to other jets/bits on the 44 IDF. I didn't see anything about the following parts:

Pump Jet:
Exhaust Jet (in bottom of fuel bowl, has a little ball in it?):
Inlet Valve (one that hooks to the float):
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=6368

Also looking for float settings!

In addition to rebuilding and properly configuring the carbs themselves, getting new hoses, re-evaluating the fuel pump, and the revised carb pulley linkage, I need advice on igniting this whole thing.

Currently, I don't know which distributor it has but it isn't a Mallory, and it's running a Bosch blue coil. If I upgrade to a Mallory, whats the best way to spark it? Stick with the Bosh blue, or is there a multi-spark that mates well with the Mallory?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:28 AM