Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> heat and 2056 build, It worked!!!!!
worn
post Jun 30 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As I have bored you to tears with I have too much heat at the head. The #3 CHT kisses 400 at 60mph and passes it when I hit a hill or want to do 70 for a distance. I have made some changes that made this number come down but it seems persistent.

I have the idea that the problem was caused by my increase in compression ratio and the addition of a non-stock cam. If so how would you know?

My son put it another way: If I am doing 70 in the 2056, I am generating the exact same power as a stock 1.7 (or 2.0) doing 70. Why am I having temp woes when the stock mill isn't? I suspect part of the issue is looking at the gauge at all. A prominent vendor of 914 parts once told me not to put in a CHT gauge because "It will just scare you."

The idea I am getting is that I built something wrong, but exactly what wrong eludes me.

Also I am running those silly 1976 heat exchangers. Would headers pull some of the heat away?

Thanks folks.

REVISION

Along the way changing away from the 1976 heat exchagers was suggested. Denizens of the world helped me backdate my exhaust system to an ssi 2.0 or similar set. New muffler, no 2 into 1 at each side, letting hot exhaust linger beneath the heads, but instead free flowing exhaust back to a collector near the muffler. At least 50 degrees cooler at cylinder 3, and even the oil is cooler. I can drive 70 without damaging the heads! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

So, thank you. Thanks to those that chimed in and also to those that would have but chimed in to help someone else. This was a major obstacle keeping me from enjoying my car. Also, it was finished in time to keep up with the 911s at autocross today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 07:22 AM