Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need help diagnosing engine issue, stutter, shake, electrical discharge sound?
narino
post Oct 11 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,001
Region Association: None

I apologize for the long post.

First the info on the engine, low mileage rebuild done a few years ago. Originally a 1.7 that's been bored out to 2.5. It has dual weber IDF 40s.

I was headed down to meet up with a 914world member in San Diego when my car started to lose power. I had been on the road for about an hour when this happened. When I gave it more throttle the engine would do a stutter/shake, while simultaneously make a sound like a lot of static discharge (could that be the engine pinging?).

I pulled over and checked the engine bay. Every thing looked OK wire-wise. When I took the carb hats off I saw a cloud of "fine mist" in the throats. I blew it out and worked the throttle arm, it shot a strong stream of fuel into the carb throats and instantly misted up. I'm assuming this is normal?

After fiddling with the spark plugs I started her back up and got back on the road. The car ran fine for a few miles then the same thing happened.

Pulled over, blew out carb jets with cleaner, reassembled then got back on freeway. Again, drove fine no power issues for a few miles and then again the same stutter/shake.

Pulled over, I removed the 2nd fuel filter I had right before the Tee fitting for both carbs lines. Drove, a few miles later same issue.

Call AAA, tow home.

I don't have a temp gauge on the car so I can't tell if it's over heating. Though considering the engine is low mileage I wouldn't think that's the issue. Could it be an air leak in the manifold or somewhere that occurs when the engine reaches a certain temp?

I was so frustrated with this damn car when AAA showed up. Then as they were pulling her onto the flat bed I couldn't help thinking, "Man, she looks great in this light".
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

TIA for any insight.

j

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:58 AM