Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Full Restoration Hurdles & Advice, What slowed you down? What did you encounter that you didn't predict?
stevegm
post Oct 17 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

I am starting a full restoration of a '71 914-4 (Build thread - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...242895&hl=). 914World has been incredibly helpful. I thought it might be good to have a thread where those with experience doing full restorations could post about the major hurdles they encountered along the way. Knowing what to expect ahead of time could really help others avoid the big issues.

What advice can you share?
What problems slowed you down the most?
What challenges stumped you for a while?
What hurdles did you not see coming?

ADVICE:
1. Buy pre-formed chassis panels from Restoration Design; and brace your chassis very well if your having to do welding work.
2. Figure out what your going to do about the wiring harness before you take it out. And don't ever cut wiring.
3. Have Eric at PMB rebuld your calipers. Will save a lot of trouble.
4. Buy a complete rubber kit (914rubber). It will save money versus piecing it together.
5. Start collecting replacement parts early, since they arent' always available when you need them.
6. Get the engine and transmission (Dr. Evil Clinic) rebuilt well in advance of completion.
7. Label and photograph everything.
8. Label all bolts. Bolts seem to be a recurring issue that causes grief.
9. Locate a shop in advance and make it clear when you want the car back.
10. Find a plater in advance for all the nuts, bolts and cad plated stuff.
11. Know your limits. If you have a deadline don't try to teach yourself to do things in days and weeks that others have spend years learning. Ya, sometimes it works out but if your serious about a deadline what if it doesn't.
12. Be prepared to write big checks. Oh, and have at least 5k in the bank over and above your highest estimate incase things go sideways.
13. Take, and organize, hundreds of pictures as you disassemble. So you
remember where everything went and how.. especially the
heater vent cables and where wires go through the front cowl bulkhead.
14. Plan on spending lots of hours on Ebay searching for parts at good prices if
you can't find them here.
15. Draw diagrams of where electrical wires come off and which colors go where; Especially the tail lights and instruments.
16. Blast first. Strip the car, brace it, put it on the rotisserie, cut the rust out and then have the car soda blasted. That will help you find the spots you missed, make it easier to weld and prevent a major sticking point.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stevegm   Full Restoration Hurdles & Advice   Oct 17 2014, 07:38 PM
ThePaintedMan   After doing it the hard way, I would always buy pr...   Oct 17 2014, 07:43 PM
wndsnd   I agree wholely with George here. Bracing is so i...   Oct 17 2014, 08:46 PM
walterolin   Brakes to Eric, buy a complete rubber kit from Mar...   Oct 17 2014, 09:20 PM
PanelBilly   Make a list of the parts you know you're going...   Oct 17 2014, 09:23 PM
r_towle   Beware of life getting in the way.........it happe...   Oct 17 2014, 10:02 PM
rick 918-S   I checked out your 71 build thread. Replace the ba...   Oct 17 2014, 10:03 PM
RobW   Label everything, especially the bolts. Nothing is...   Oct 18 2014, 06:15 AM
Cairo94507   If you think it is going to cost you $10,000 ...   Oct 18 2014, 06:39 AM
toolguy   Take hundreds of pictures as you disassemble. . so...   Oct 18 2014, 11:24 AM
stevegm   Take hundreds of pictures as you disassemble. . s...   Oct 20 2014, 07:02 PM
trojanhorsepower   Looking back on what is holding me up... I agree w...   Oct 18 2014, 01:35 PM
stevegm   Looking back on what is holding me up... I agree ...   Oct 19 2014, 02:43 PM
FourBlades   Buy parts from 914 world vendors instead of Ebay. ...   Oct 20 2014, 09:00 PM
dcecc1968   Steve, If you need a shop, John Forbes (Black Fore...   Oct 21 2014, 07:13 AM
saigon71   That's some excellent advice you have received...   Oct 22 2014, 06:34 AM
ndfrigi   That's some excellent advice you have receive...   Oct 22 2014, 11:08 AM
CptTripps   My only advice: STAY ORGANIZED The more prep work...   Oct 22 2014, 11:00 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:37 AM