Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bosch alternator installation warning tag, Addendum to an old thread, too lazy to look for it
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 6 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

In an off the wall reply to a transmission linkage lubrication suggestion I made over on The Bird, I was challenged to supply proof for an assertion I made in an old thread here (!) regarding possible alternator damage from jump starting a car with a dead battery. As the alternator in a car is intended to function primarily as a battery maintainer, NOT a battery charger, Bosch has seen fit to include a warning label or tag with every new or remanufactured alternator they sell. I think it's reasonable to assume they have some valid reason to supply us with that warning, and to extend that wisdom to a dead battery situation leading to the necessity for a jump start.

Attached Image

Some folks have a long memory for things that, for whatever reason, offended them. Because I've been challenged to provide a reason for my earlier statement, which I fully stand behind, I've searched the web for an image of that warning tag. After reading the tag, the person challenging my advice is, of course, free to do exactly as he wishes. Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn. If risking a new alternator, which can be priced at thousands of dollars (yup, and that's in US money!) is what he, or anyone else chooses to do, please be my guest! If this person's engineering department comes up with peer reviewed double blind test results that disprove Bosch's advice, I'd be happy to issue a public apology and review my opinion. Until that happens, I'll err on the side of caution, and do it the right way as I see it.

See, Krustiness AND politeness in the same post! Betcha you didn't see THAT coming!

The Cap'n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Cap'n Krusty   Bosch alternator installation warning tag   Nov 6 2014, 01:55 PM
bandjoey   I accept your expert opinion always on 914s. Follo...   Nov 6 2014, 02:03 PM
Cap'n Krusty   No. You would be asking the alternator to do some...   Nov 6 2014, 02:16 PM
rdauenhauer   Cap'n where are you buying a new OE Bosch Alt ...   Nov 6 2014, 02:35 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Cap'n where are you buying a new OE Bosch Alt...   Nov 6 2014, 05:22 PM
Tom   :agree: Cap'n Krusty is 100% righ...   Nov 6 2014, 07:09 PM
stugray   While I agree that charging a dead battery can pul...   Nov 6 2014, 07:40 PM
Root_Werks   I learned this leasson the hard way back in the la...   Nov 7 2014, 02:49 PM
stugray   I learned this leasson the hard way back in the l...   Nov 7 2014, 03:12 PM
rgalla9146   I learned this leasson the hard way back in the ...   Nov 7 2014, 03:26 PM
Cap'n Krusty   We appear to have the same s*#@storm we had the la...   Nov 7 2014, 03:41 PM
stugray   We appear to have the same s*#@storm we had the l...   Nov 7 2014, 04:33 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Probably written by the legal department ... The ...   Nov 7 2014, 04:53 PM
stugray   Just to revisit this discussion: A Bad alternator...   Dec 8 2014, 10:03 AM
colingreene   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i0.ky...   Dec 9 2014, 12:43 AM
stugray   WOW!! A TRS80! I havent sat in front o...   Dec 9 2014, 12:48 AM
RobW   Don't reverse the terminals either....   Dec 9 2014, 07:36 AM
stugray   Don't reverse the terminals either.... Venkm...   Dec 9 2014, 12:29 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:43 PM