Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1970 914/4 resurrection help needed!, Poorly running F.I. 1.7
daveholiday
post Mar 15 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,521
Region Association: South East States

Hello all, this is my first post on the forums, but have been "soaking up" information from here for a bout a year! This is a long post and perhaps a complex problem or multiple problems that I desperately need advice and guidance with. I am going to provide all the info I possibly can but if I leave something out please let me know! I will describe my problem first and then give a detailed history and specs of the car.

The problem:

My car will just not run smoothly across the rev range. I constantly have to give the car throttle inputs just to keep it running. When it does try to idle it is around the 400-500 rpm range. I can also hear pops through the intake if I try to hold the throttle open at a set point (hold the car at a specific rpm). If I am constantly moving/revving the throttle the engine will respond, but in exaggerated revving/deceleration. It also is very low on power when I do attempt to get it out on roads in the neighborhood. It also appears to be running very lean as all 4 of my spark plug tips are white.

Car/Engine specs:

1970 Porsche 914 1.7. The car is still fuel injection. I have most, if not all, of the service/repair records for the car including the bill of sale from when the car was purchased new. The car has the original engine (W004-9961). The car had a rebuild in 1977 that consisted of the installation of a HP camshaft (no description), 96mm big bore kit, lifters, rods, coil, seals etc. In 1980 the car had another major service consisting of: lifters, rings, lapped valves, and camshaft. This camshaft had a Porsche part number that matches the stock part number. The previous owner didn't have anything else major done to the car since the 1980 service. So the best I can tell the engine has a stock crank, cam, heads, F.I., distributor, but does have a 96mm big bore kit installed. The last time the car was running reliably was 1988-1990.

My service history:

-Engine removal for clutch replacement and flywheel resurfacing.
-While the engine was out, I replaced all the seals I could without removing the heads.
-Replaced all vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and clamps
-New F.I. and ignition wire harnesses (Thanks Jeff, they are gorgeous!)
-4 new fuel injectors with seals
-new points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, plugs (NGK BPR6ES), and timed @ 3500rpm
with some help I was able to hold the engine rpms enough to time it.
- distributor vacuum advance tested and seems to be working
-AAR, CHT(new), manifold air temp sensor, TPS all test good.
-The MPS will hold 10in,hg for 30 minutes before dropping to 9.5 in. primary and secondary resistances are 89 and 349 ohms
-The cylinder compression is 160,160,155,150
- valves set to .006 at TDC for each cylinder
**edit** fuel pressure trigger points cleaned and tested, fuel pressure at 28psi

The bad news is the engine runs as poorly now as it did before I started working on it. I am out of ideas and could use some advice. I have religiously searched for vacuum leaks and have brand new proper metric sized lines. I have even gone as far as to use small spring clamps on the vacuum lines. The only other items that I haven't done extensive testing on is the MPS and the computer. My MPS holds vacuum and sounds like the internals are moving when releasing vacuum, but I don't know of any other tests that I can do without specialized equipment. I haven't stumbled across any references regarding testing the computer as of yet, but I hear it is rare for them to go bad.

Thank you all who have taken time to read this post, and thank you ahead of time for any advice big or small to help me.

Again, if I have left out any info that you think would be pertinent, please let me know and I will be happy to add it.

Thanks again!

Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
daveholiday   1970 914/4 resurrection help needed!   Mar 15 2015, 02:42 PM
flylarry   I read through and didn't see anything regardi...   Mar 15 2015, 09:57 PM
daveholiday   I was laying in bed last night thinking that I for...   Mar 16 2015, 05:39 AM
Bob L.   A few thoughts at first glance... Have you known ...   Mar 16 2015, 10:55 AM
daveholiday   Update on fuel pressure. Upon retesting the syste...   Mar 16 2015, 11:13 AM
daveholiday   @Bob Bob thanks for the list... The last person ...   Mar 16 2015, 12:27 PM
Dave_Darling   As for valve specs, the Porsche manual has the sp...   Mar 16 2015, 09:11 PM
Bob L.   Did you rehab the fuel tank/pump/filters etc? Som...   Mar 16 2015, 04:34 PM
daveholiday   @ Bob and Dave When I first got the car I drained...   Mar 17 2015, 08:04 AM
daveholiday   **UPDATE** I spoke with the previous owner last n...   Mar 17 2015, 09:41 AM
Bob L.   I would think a mismatched MPS/ECU would have some...   Mar 19 2015, 11:05 AM
daveholiday   ** YET ANOTHER UPDATE** Went back through to dist...   Mar 23 2015, 01:18 PM
Philip W.   ** YET ANOTHER UPDATE** Went back through to dis...   Mar 23 2015, 01:47 PM
Chris Pincetich   Sounds stupid but.....I solved 70% of my D-jet iss...   Mar 23 2015, 01:38 PM
Bob L.   There is still a mismatched MPS/ECU combo...   Mar 23 2015, 02:02 PM
914_teener   Silly question........but are you going off 1.7 sp...   Mar 23 2015, 03:01 PM
914_teener   Ooooops sorry......missed the stock cam part.   Mar 23 2015, 03:03 PM
PaulK   Did you go with the green injectors with the displ...   Mar 23 2015, 03:37 PM
Philip W.   Did you go with the green injectors with the disp...   Mar 23 2015, 07:19 PM
daveholiday   Thanks for the replies...but it brings a question ...   Mar 24 2015, 06:09 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:52 AM