Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Vapor lock on '75 1.8?
57lincolnman
post Jul 12 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

I was driving my '75 1.8L on a very hot afternoon (+94 degrees) in combination highway and city driving for about an hour. While waiting at a stoplight, the idle became very weak. I gave it some gas, it backfired (twice) and then died. I got it to fire-up again but the car barely had any power - just enough to barely get through the intersection. Then it died completely. After sitting for a few hours, it started right up again. Prior to that the engine would hesitate when getting out of first and then go.

I was at PCA event today and some 914 gurus suggested it could be vapor lock. Is this rare in 914s with the fuel up front? Is it still possible even with the engine running to get vapor lock? Or could this be a fuel pump starting to fail, or perhaps a relay? I have stock L-jet fuel injection. Up until now the car has been running very well. Checked for vacuum leaks and found none. Fuel lines replaced a few years ago with stainless steel. Thanks for insight.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:49 PM