Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Which Rear Spring Do I Have?
Mathman
post Jul 23 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,330
Region Association: None

I have been feeling like my rear springs might be worn out, so I decided to buy some 100lb. springs. It should be noted that I am VERY much a newbie when it comes to the suspension system. In addition, let it be known that I am not currently into AX or any other racing applications.

That being said, I felt like the rear ride height was exceptionally low for my tastes. When I went to remove my springs, I discovered that I have the yellow Bilstein shocks with the six grooves and the little circlip to hold the bottom plate. My circlips were on the bottom groove.

So, I took off my spring, and compared it to my new 100lb. spring. My old spring is probably a good 3" longer than the new one. That seemed weird to me, so I decided to do a little more research.

I have always been told that you can't really change the rear ride height, but then I read some stuff that indicated you COULD change the ride height if you had the Bilsteins. So, I decided to move the circlip to the fourth groove (from the bottom) and install the old springs. After driving it around a bit, I like the ride height a lot more.

My questions are as follows:

1. Did I do anything wrong?

2. Should I use the new 100lb. springs or keep the old springs?

3. There are no markings on the old springs. I put a weight on both old and new springs, and they seemed to compress the same distance, but why would there be such a height difference? Any other way of telling whether my old springs are sprung?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 10:11 AM