Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I hate ethanol fuel
Amphicar770
post Jan 20 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pulled my fuel tank in preparation for new lines.

Although car is essentially rust free, I was surprised at how much visible rust was inside the tank.

I debated if I should have it sealed or just cleaned out. Seems that people have had mixed results with the various sealant kits, the problem being that some peel when exposed to ethanol fuels.

I took the tank to a radiator shop in NJ that is well respected. They also offer the gastank renu service. The plan was to just clean it out and then go from there.

While tank looked good, after cleaning we discovered that it does indeed have some small leaks. I guess that explains the fuel smell that I was never able to pinpoint.

So, it will now get the full gastank renu service. http://www.gastankrenu.com/ Most reviews are positive and I figure it will be better than any DIY kit I might buy. They will leave the exterior top of the tank in primer and I will paint that satin black (as the texture of the exterior gastankrenu treatment does not look factory).

I do try to avoid ethanol fuel but the nearest station that sells pure gas is 60 miles away (thanks to EPA rules created by the farm lobby). To date I have personally seen ethanol fuel destroy the fuel pumps in my Jaguar, gas tank in the Porsche, and carb parts in other vehicles.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:52 PM