Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Measuring tire temps at AX, What am I doing wrong?
Joseph Mills
post Jun 15 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #1

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

At the last AX, after several runs, I went from 36# to 30# for the front tires (Hoosiers). At 32# and above, the inside was about 5 deg. hotter than the outside. Below 30# the outside started heating. At 30# they were about 117 deg. all the way across the tire. Good. And the car does not push.

The rear tires were about the same temps. However, even when I went as low as 26#, they are STILL about 6+ deg. hotter on the inside. And at 26# the car was starting to get a little loose, but easily controllable. Below are some things I've considered, but really, I don't know where to go from here.

My car does have 1/2 deg more neg camber in the back than the front....

It was a short AX - around 38 sec's with some straight ahead driving - which would tend to heat the inside tread....?

Maybe I need a faster/longer AX? Or can you only do proper readings on a skid pad or figure 8 only....?

Could the engine heat up the inside of the tires? Usually spend 5 -10 minutes with engine idling and slowly creeping up the line.....???

My "pyrometer" is very cheap, but seems to be very reliable with repeated readings.

Any ideas out there??? HELP! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Joseph Mills   Measuring tire temps at AX   Jun 15 2003, 08:49 PM
Racer Chris   Lowering the pressure to get the outside edge of t...   Jun 16 2003, 07:23 AM
john rogers   Tire temps seem to be a black art, almost. Here...   Jun 16 2003, 10:19 AM
Joseph Mills  
  Jun 20 2003, 12:03 PM
ChrisReale   Between 28 and 32 degrees or pounds? Is this tiar...   Jun 20 2003, 02:07 PM
J P Stein   Don't ak me, I'm just trying to communicat...   Jun 20 2003, 02:12 PM
Bleyseng   Come on JP, shake your pacemaker so more blood goe...   Jun 20 2003, 05:00 PM
Joseph Mills  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:00 PM