Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Boxster Engine swaps, Good luck
Brett W
post Apr 3 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

I spent several hours today talking with the instructor for all Porsche factory technicians in the US. Bob is also a Porsche Master Tech. Anyway. He had a new 997 at the track this weekend and also had the Porsche Diagnostic computer with him. Seems as though he was trouble shooting the car. (Some problem with the Navigational system.) SO he gave me the rundown on the computer and engine management system that the 987 and 997 use.

It seems as though the computers are engine and car specific. The computer has to recognize the car, instrument cluster and such in order to work. First I ask about swapping the engine from 997 (3.8) he said it would not be feasable using all factory parts. The ECU would not work. You might be able to run the engine with a standalone but you couldn't run the cluster and all the other stuff.

The amount of things that the ECU and such runs and references is vast. The drive by wire system is redudant and will be very hard to work around. The PSM and ABS units and the ECU talk and reference each other so trying to seperate them will be very hard.

I ask what my options were if I bought a Boxster and the answer was "you better be satisfied with that 285HP".

We better find another option.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:11 AM