Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Leaking fuel pump
BillC
post Jul 10 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My 914 has been up on jackstands since December. In that time, I installed the CFR stainless fuel lines and and new fuel hoses (and a bunch of other stuff). I finally finished putting everything back together and took it off the jackstands this afternoon <yay!>.

I then put about 1.5 gallons of gas in it, had my son stand by with a fire extinguisher, and tried to start it up. I started by cycling the key on and off a few times, to allow the pump to prime itself and fill the fuel lines. Then, I heard it -- the disheartening sound of fuel splattering on the floor. <crap!>.

So, back onto stands and start poking around trying to find what was leaking. I was hoping to find a loose clamp or something simple. But, that's not my luck. It turns out the fuel pump is leaking internally -- fuel is coming out through and around the electrical connector. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Any idea what happened? The car was running fine before I jacked it up for its long-deferred maintenance. The pump was out of the car for a few months, could it have dried out internally and something cracked/failed?

And, does anyone have a known-good fuel pump that will fit my '73 1.7 D-Jet? I put a "wanted" ad in the classifieds section, but thought I might as well ask here, while I'm at it.

Or, would y'all recommend getting the rebuilt pump from AA? At $395, it aint cheap. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it any good.

I know y'all would probably just recommend relocating the pump to the front, but I'd really like to keep the car as original as possible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 09:00 PM