Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need electrical help- no spark., HHHHHHHELP!
tornik550
post Aug 20 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I built a /6 2.7 this past winter. I originally ran the engine on a test stand so I could work out all of the bugs. The engine ran great. I had a fairly simple electrical setup and I did not hook up my alternator. Since everything was workin well, I installed the engine in my 914. Once hooked up, I started the car and it ran great for a few minutes than I had to turn it off for unrelated reasons. A week later, I tried to start it up again and everything worked great. Then a couple of days ago, I tried to start the car and after the engine would crank awhile, you could occasionally hear a cylinder fire but the engine never started. Since then, I have not been able to get the engine to start or even any signs of spark.

To check for spark, I hooked up a plug wire to an old spark plug, layer it on the engine, cranked it and looked for spark.

I have a msd blaster 2 coil, pertronix ignition, new distributor cap and rotor, new clewett wires.

Here is what I have tried- none has worked- I tried the above test with each of the listed changes.
-I have tried three different pertronix ignitors (two brand new)
-tried three difference could- Bosch blue, msd blaster 2, accel super stock (none of the three are new- I thought they work ok however?)
-I tried a new set of points (I did get one spark 1 time)
-I have an msd 6al- no luck
-battery has 12.8v

I even tried rewiring everything as though it was on the test stand. Nothing was hooked up to the car- everything was directly to a separate battery
-12v to starter
-switched 12v to starter
-pertronix + wire to + post on coil, - wire to - post
-switched 12v to +post on coil
-ground to -coil post

That is all that was hooked up and still no spark!!! Spark plugs are brand new also. I just don't get it- I have mega simplified the system- everything worked fine and now nothing. I don't even car if the engine doesn't fire- as long as I am getting a spark, I can work from there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:15 AM