Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 1 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
---Adam

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Unobtanium-inc   Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!   Nov 1 2016, 01:40 PM
draganc   thanks for the 101 of internet car business, but w...   Nov 2 2016, 08:35 AM
Unobtanium-inc   thanks for the 101 of internet car business, but ...   Nov 2 2016, 05:29 PM
scotty b   thanks for the 101 of internet car business, but...   Nov 3 2016, 09:24 AM
Unobtanium-inc   I'll drag you, and you'll like it! :...   Nov 3 2016, 02:44 PM
billh1963   I think the point Adam is trying to make is correc...   Nov 2 2016, 01:52 PM
914Sixer   Bargains are few and far between. With the market...   Nov 2 2016, 02:07 PM
Perry Kiehl Clone   Every month or so there's an ad for a '86 ...   Nov 2 2016, 04:32 PM
mb911   Every month or so there's an ad for a '86...   Nov 2 2016, 04:37 PM
RickS   Every month or so there's an ad for a '86...   Nov 10 2016, 11:15 PM
euro911   I bot old porch from dude in NY, but it had rust s...   Nov 2 2016, 06:09 PM
Unobtanium-inc   I bot old porch from dude in NY, but it had rust ...   Nov 2 2016, 06:24 PM
mbseto   ...let them go back to flipping mini-vans on thei...   Nov 3 2016, 08:41 AM
Hans Jan   This is soo current. Today I won in smalls claim ...   Nov 3 2016, 07:12 PM
oakdalecurtis   This is soo current. Today I won in smalls claim...   Nov 3 2016, 08:43 PM
Hans Jan   Wow. Thanks for this tip. :wavebye:   Nov 3 2016, 08:58 PM
Unobtanium-inc   Wow. Thanks for this tip. :wavebye: Hans, any ...   Nov 6 2016, 06:43 PM
SO.O.C914er   Wow glad to hear someone is getting their money ba...   Nov 6 2016, 07:53 PM
Hans Jan   Wow glad to hear someone is getting their money b...   Nov 7 2016, 08:27 PM
euro911   Who is this guy? ... is he a member on this forum?   Nov 6 2016, 07:58 PM
Coondog   Who is this guy? ... is he a member on this forum...   Nov 6 2016, 09:16 PM
Hans Jan   His name is Glenn Wright. Also uses the name: Nin...   Nov 7 2016, 08:22 PM
pvollma   His name is Glenn Wright. Also uses the name: Ni...   Nov 8 2016, 08:51 AM
Coondog   His name is Glenn Wright. Also uses the name: N...   Nov 8 2016, 12:51 PM
cpavlenko   [quote name='pvollma' post='2420913' date='Nov 8 ...   Nov 8 2016, 03:22 PM
Hans Jan   All that sounds good but obviously you have never ...   Nov 9 2016, 09:48 PM
euro911   <_<   Nov 10 2016, 11:35 AM
Chris Pincetich   Will there ever be a day when finding and buying a...   Nov 11 2016, 12:00 PM
Rothbard   Informative post. But what I'd like to know is...   Nov 12 2016, 06:41 PM
KELTY360   Informative post. But what I'd like to know i...   Nov 12 2016, 10:19 PM
Unobtanium-inc   Informative post. But what I'd like to know i...   Nov 23 2016, 08:43 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:18 AM