Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 1.7L with AC needs more power, Thinking of building a more powerful motor for AC use
jjs3rd914
post Jan 29 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,476

Have a bone stock recently rebuilt 72 1.7L 914 with AC that works great. Problem is at idle seems wants to stall. have set up idle but still the 80HP does not seem to be enough.

Have a complete 2L and complete 1.8L 914 motors. The 2L heads are cracked, not worth repairing. 1.8L heads great shape, 2L crank and rods also good. So I am thinking of building a second motor to replace in its entirety the 1.7L. Yet keeping the original 914 motor should in the future someone wants to convert back to 100% stock.

From reading previous posts and an old Jake Raby guideline, here is a tentative plan

Use 1.8L case, 2 L crank and rods, get new 96mm pistons and barrels, get 40 IDF dual Weber carbs, etc. But unsure as to the cam to use. Do have the 1.8 and 2L cams available. Will either work, or should I get a new cam specific to my build?

Also going to use the 1.8L heads. But I do have the 2L trashed heads but the larger values are good. I have read can update the 1.8 head to the larger valves. If so can I assume the 1.8L seats have to be replaced with larger seats, OR dum question, can the existing seats be machined to the not so much bigger 2L values.

Can the stock 1.8L distributor be used. I do have a 009 dizzy for use.

Or is just using the stock 1.8L head god enough to end up with about 115-125 HP, much more than the stock 1.7.

So opinions?

Thanks in advance

jjs3rd914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:58 PM