Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Car and New Oil Leak from Taco Plate
nwm5709
post Apr 13 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,536
Region Association: South East States

I recently picked up my first 914 - a '74 2.0 with weber carbs. One of the first things I wanted to do was install an oil temp gauge since there wasn't one in the car when I got it. I installed a new temp sender with a new VDO gauge and now I have a pretty steady leak from the taco plate. I actually installed it twice. The first time with everything the same as it was - same O-ring, same bolts with regular washers and no paper gasket. That proved to be a bad idea as it was leaking tremendously. I know that over-torquing these is a common issue, but I honestly don't think I tightened it that much (although I admit I didn't use my torque wrench)

The second time I re-installed it with a new o-ring coated in a permatex sealant, my homemade cork gasket since I couldn't find it anywhere online, and (2) 1/4" lock washers I had available. It is much better, but still leaking a decent amount.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Right now its probably livable, but I would certainly like to fix it and know if I did anything wrong. I don't think I over-tightened it enough to bend the plate, but who knows. I also didn't use the oem crush washer but will that really make a difference?

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:54 AM