Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Brake Troubles
nwm5709
post Jun 26 2017, 06:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,536
Region Association: South East States

I’ve read a lot of the how-tos and discussions on here about brake bleeding and caliper rebuilds, but I’m looking for some more guidance with brakes on my ’74 before taking everything apart. I set out this weekend to bleed my brakes to try and stiffen up the pedal which has been very soft since I got the car. I assume all the calipers will need a rebuild, but I wanted to see where bleeding the system would get me first. Well after fussing with it for 2 days, I am worse off than I was before. Most of the pads were dragging, so I took the front pads off and pushed the pistons back in to see if would free them up. They moved back against the rotor after pumping the pedal a few times, but now I have almost no braking power even after bleeding several times. I’m about to order 2 rebuild kits for the fronts (with plans to move onto the rears after), but I want to be sure it isn’t something else? I didn’t see any leaks in the system, but I was definitely having trouble getting a steady flow of fluid out of a few of the calipers.

Also, the bleeder nipple on the driver side front is in at an angle. I had very little brake fluid coming out of the end of that bleeder and fluid was actually coming out of the threads. Is there something I can do about this when rebuilding the caliper or should I look for another core to rebuild?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:03 AM