Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foam in rear trunk lid, any ideas?
restore2seater
post May 16 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Future 914 copilot.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,037
Region Association: None

I took the doors and both trunk lids from my car to Redi-Strip in Roselle Illinois a while back to have them dipped in thier alkaline solution. I called them today to see how the progress was going. The guy there told me that the parts were pretty much stripped but he asked me something that I wasn't sure of. He asked if the factory would have put any foam in the rear trunk lid. The alkaline solution wasn't getting rid of it and he was wondering what it was. I told him I didn't think the factory would spray any foam in that area and that the only place I knew of that they did was the body. At the rear of the quarter panel above the taillight area and where the recessed area was for the door handle.
The rear trunk lid had a spoiler on it that I removed before taking the parts to Redi-Strip. I thought maybe someone might have sprayed something in the channels at the back edge of the lid on the inside to help seal it up. Possibly to prevent rust or to help stiffen the lid. I really don't know any other reason why you would need anything in that area.
Does anyone know if that area would have had foam sprayed in from the factory or why anyone would want to spray it themselves? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
restore2seater   foam in rear trunk lid   May 16 2005, 10:09 AM
davep   Both the lids have polyurethane foam inside the ri...   May 16 2005, 10:14 AM
Zeke   Yep, foam at the lips, even on 911's. I would ...   May 16 2005, 10:43 AM
cdmcse   I am not sure what they used back then, but if it ...   May 16 2005, 12:27 PM
bondo   You can always burn it out. http://...   May 16 2005, 02:34 PM
tat2dphreak   gasoline is what I heard would take it out...   May 16 2005, 02:38 PM
Lou W     May 16 2005, 02:43 PM
bondo     May 16 2005, 02:55 PM
dmenche914   The factory foam in the rear deck lid is a seriuos...   May 16 2005, 03:20 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:19 PM