Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> So Far... No Good, brand new motor - useless
gfulcher
post May 21 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Diagnosis: Automobilitus. Prognosis: Terminal

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,501
Region Association: Northern California

So, I don't have lots of spare time to begin with, and it's been a year-long struggle to get my 914 back on the road (busted my crankshaft in the 2.6 Big Four last Fall).. Anyhow, replaced it with a brand new (everything) 2.0 built by a reputable builder in the area years ago. (he unfortunately died of cancer a couple years back). Got the engine in the car a few weeks ago, got it running this past weekend, took yesterday off to make the final adjustments.. Running great - cool, good oil pressure - no problems - actually the easiest first-start I've ever had with a brand new engine.. Drove it about 60 miles yesterday mixed highway and backroads...

I was going to head to the garage this morning to make some final adjustments, change the oil again yaddy yaddy yaddy - fired it up, noticed my oil pressure went from 60psi to zero right after ignition. Turned the car off immediately, naturally, and looked underneath to see all of the oil cascading out of the engine into a puddle on my driveway.

SHIT.

after it all drained in one place, I rolled the car back and sitting on top of the puddle was what looks like a galley plug of sorts - but not the size of the one that covers the end of the cam shaft - this one is about 1.5cm wide by .5cm tall - looks to be aluminum on the outside with a brass inner ring.

Here's a Picture

Now, the oil all spilled out on the front end of the motor - so I'm hoping this is part of an ancillary system (ie: won't require case splitting) but I'm not confident of that. Before I yank it all apart AGAIN (waiting for the tow truck right now), any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-greg-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:27 AM