Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Going Commercial Salmon Fishing, Bristol Bay
Rhodes71/914
post May 30 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Glacier

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,482

As most of you that read the board know I just moved back to Alaska. Before I left here 3 1/2 years ago, I made most of my income commercial fishing. When I moved to Oregon I decided to get a "real Job" you know a 8-5 kind of thing. Well after 3 years of office work I am happy to go back to what some refer to as summer camp to men.

It's a month of living on a 32 foot boat with 2 other guys trying to catch as much sockey salmon as you can during the gillnetting openers. An OK season is around 100,000lbs.

I used to do this fishery when prices were good and we had record runs. There was a rough patch around 2000 with low returns and bad prices, but it is on the upswing now. I am just glad to get out on the water again and make a buck at the same time.

My wife will stay home with the little ones and work on our new baking business.

Here is a pic of "the line" where some real combat fishing takes place.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:46 PM