Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> '71 914 Rejuvenation
SeanDeanC
post Apr 18 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,047
Region Association: Southwest Region

TL;DR: I inherited a honey-do that is a 914 and looking to get it running. Currently seems to crank slow and has sat for a while with little/no fuel. Update: The #1 cylinder appears to have dropped a valve. Teardown commences.

My name is Sean and my Fiancée inherited a 1971 Porsche 914 from her father. It has sat for many years with little (maybe no) use. Therefore, I’m looking to get it rehabilitated and ready for some pictures this spring and our wedding this summer. So, I may reach out with some questions here and there. I’ve utilized this forum and many others for a crash course which have proved to be invaluable. Even if some of the posts now exclude originally attached pictures or were before image storage was readily viable.

The car appears to have been obtained through a Haggerty auction/dealer. The car came with a good amount of spare parts (including what appears to be the full FI system maybe sans wiring harness). To an untrained eye It looks to be in excellent condition, with the exception that it only ‘ran’ prior to being dropped off. I have yet to get it to run myself and am currently going through rehabilitating the fuel system but it also seems to crank slow. I didn’t realize that not only was I fighting old fuel but no fuel.

I should have taken pictures prior to some disassembly so you could see the car but maybe y’all and I can revel in some completion photos together.

What I know about the car:

Signal Orange Tangerine
• Targa
• Fuchs Wheels
• Weber IDF 40s
• *some exhaust system*
• Clifford security system (super afraid of the wiring on this)
• More to be discovered?

Work in Progress:

• Removal and cleaning of fuel system
o Clean tank
o Replace fuel strainer
o Replace lines (including tunnel line which happened to be copper replacements on both)
o Replace fuel pump and filter
o Addition of fuel pressure gauge inline gauge
 This may be temporary if the FPR is accurate and consistent
o Rebuild/refresh carburetors (new task to me; pointers welcome)
o Run new wires for oil pressure and temp gauges

At this point I’m open to any and all comments/suggestions. Especially advice of things to do while certain areas are opened up. I grew up on Nissans and have a ~380HP Nissan 240SX (Silvia) as a fun car. So, I’m excited to see this car come to life as one of the first Porsches and air-cooled cars I’ve maintained.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n8L1BejZ0xrDZmdQ2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5irKrca1vDfuSV37

What is the spade connector for in the middle of this picture resting on the block? Appears to be off of the ignition harness and is not shielded from shorting/grounding.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SeanDeanC   '71 914 Rejuvenation   Apr 18 2018, 04:28 PM
Larmo63   :wttc: That car looks terrific, but it isn't...   Apr 18 2018, 04:37 PM
SeanDeanC   :wttc: That car looks terrific, but it isn...   Apr 18 2018, 05:06 PM
injunmort   welcome, you are in the right place. really nice s...   Apr 18 2018, 06:15 PM
PanelBilly   I’m a fan of starting with the brakes. Make it s...   Apr 18 2018, 06:59 PM
Cairo94507   :wttc: Yeah, that's a nice car to start with. ...   Apr 18 2018, 09:18 PM
Spoke   At this point I’m open to any and all comments/...   Apr 19 2018, 04:50 AM
SeanDeanC   Alright, so after a vacation and a short break. I...   May 7 2018, 07:07 PM
SeanDeanC   :stromberg: I pulled the intake runners to clean...   May 8 2018, 06:16 PM
mobymutt   Any ideas of whether or not it will get high enou...   May 8 2018, 06:42 PM
SeanDeanC   Update...The Quickjack (SLX-3500) is amazing. Wort...   Jun 25 2018, 07:21 AM
Dave_Darling   That's pretty much every aircooled owner's...   Jun 25 2018, 08:53 AM
SeanDeanC   Yea, I'm not entirely sure what I'm workin...   Jun 25 2018, 11:11 AM
Racer Chris   I also assume (hope?) it has a hotter cam. Nearly...   Jun 25 2018, 11:43 AM
The Cabinetmaker   Welcome Sean. Several 914 folks in the area. Me in...   Jun 25 2018, 11:48 AM
The Cabinetmaker   Just measure the cylinders to verify bore.   Jun 25 2018, 11:50 AM
SeanDeanC   Cabinetmaker, thanks for the welcome. Maybe soon I...   Jun 26 2018, 06:16 AM
Racer Chris   Is 2257 too big for 40 IDF Webers? Any intake/ex...   Jun 26 2018, 07:52 AM
marksteinhilber   Is 2257 too big for 40 IDF Webers? Any intake/e...   Jun 26 2018, 01:37 PM
SeanDeanC   So, I'm back. +1. The most amazing daughter, m...   Sep 29 2021, 06:18 PM
jhynesrockmtn   So, I'm back. +1. The most amazing daughter, ...   Sep 30 2021, 07:33 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 09:38 PM