Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Found my exhaust leak :-(, Broken ear weld - now what?
ThinAir
post Jun 8 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

I found the exhaust leak on #4. I expected to find that I just needed to tighten things up, but no - that would be too easy!

The welds on one of the "ears" that goes around the exhaust stud has started to tear loose and it took some of the exhaust pipe with it. Now I've got two small holes in the pipe where the welds used to be. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) These are stainless steel heat exchangers.

My temporary fix for now was to fill the holes as best I could with some copper impregnated hi-temp RTV that I use for exhaust gaskets to make sure I don't get a leak. I'm letting it cure overnight before restarting the engine. It can't be any worse than it was.

The question I've got is about fixing it when the time comes (hopefully winter). I'm sure I can find a welder who knows how to work with this stuff, but I'm wondering about the size and alignment of the ears. These have got to be the hardest HEs to attach to the heads that I've ever dealt with. It takes all kinds of finessing to get them onto the studs and I'm always certain I'm gonna scrape the threads right off the studs.

I don't think I can expect any old muffler shop to make these right. Can anyone point me to a source that I can ship to for repairs that understands 914s and can make them right?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ThinAir914   Found my exhaust leak :-(   Jun 8 2005, 11:00 PM
scruz914   I am currently dealing with the same problem, exce...   Jun 8 2005, 11:39 PM
ThinAir914   It's not visibly twisted. It's only when ...   Jun 9 2005, 12:35 AM
Racer Chris   The material is fairly thin and people typically o...   Jun 9 2005, 05:51 AM
JerryP   I had the same problem. When I took my exchangers ...   Jun 9 2005, 06:15 AM
ThinAir914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:58 AM