Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suby Guys, question about tripod inner cv joints, Retainer (CirClip) failed!?
914pipe
post Jul 28 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,422
Region Association: South East States

Found out that my trailing arms bushings were shot, so I changed them and put everything back together.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Went for a 10 min ride and about 3/4 of a mile from home I heard a "BOOM" coming from the passenger side....and almost no traction... Every time I try to move the car.... It will make a loud nice.... Long story short...Took the car home on a tow truck.

Inspected the car and the passenger side inner CV joint retainer clip (cir-clip, the one that prevents the tripod come off the CV housing) was missing. No signals of it inside the boot. I did NOT remove the boot while changing the trailing arms bushings, but I might have forced a little the axles while removing the trailing arms that may could had help to misaligned the cir-clip. There were some metal shavings inside the boot.

The loud noise was because the tripod was skipping over the tripod "cup" or CV joint housing...

Question is.....Have this ever happen to you guys? I know that the use of tripod CV joints is the less common conversion here.

Could this happen again even having the cir clip correctly installed. I put about 60 miles on this car before the trailing arm bushing installation and the car was driving pretty good with no problems or weird noises at all.

Thanks in advance!

Pictures for reference:

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:22 AM