Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> '75 2.0L d-jet woes Starts off at 900 rpm for 2 min and dies, Is there a sequence to analyze problem?
buck toenges
post Jan 17 2019, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

Have a 75 D-jet 2.0L in earlier 72 car. Have later model main chassis wiring harness and 75 engine (fI wiring harness with the over rev limit switch. The switch is not hooked up). Car starts right away and idles at 900 rpm. I can rev the engine easily. After 1-2 minutes the engine dies. after that I can start engine it will rev to about 1000 rpm then die. This repeats as I start engine. I have to wait overnight to get the engine to start at 900 rpm and stay that way for 1-2 minutes. I have looked up d-jet stuff like Brad Anders' site and other posts to figure out what to do next.
Is there a sequence that would make the checkout easier?

This is what I have found so far as to sequence:

1)Fuel pressure at FI rail I have done this and it reads about 28-29 lbs during starting, running, and restarting.
2) check points condition and dwell 45-50 degrees Haven't done this yet but points and dist cap look new.
3) check cht ohm readings before starting and after running. Haven't done this yet but I do know I need to check it with cht not connected to harness
4) check air intake temp sensor resistance readings. Haven't done yet
5) mps check for vacuum and check terminal wires resistance. I know that one of the wires was disconnected from plastic connector. I did repair that.
6) trigger points/advance plates

Are there any other checks or sequence of checks that could help me correct the problem? I am trying to attack this problem in a rational sequence. It might be the ecu, maybe the old cracked FI harness, or maybe the distributor. I haven't seen any posts that talk about the rpms starting at 900 rpm then dying after 1-2 minutes. I have seen posts about rpms starting at 1500 rpms then idlying down before dying. I don't know if the aar needs checked or not.
Are there other things to check OR not to check?
One final thing. My gen light does not go out. I am going to jump D+ and DF to see if battery is getting charged. Just saying this just in case this might effect my symptoms.

Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 06:56 AM