Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Way too lean..., Bad ECU?
Olympic 914
post Feb 17 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Put the engine back in after removing it to repair the trunk hinges and finished hooking everything up yesterday. After a couple turns of the key to purge the fuel lines of air, I hit the key to start it.

After a few turns it started and when the AFR gauge finished its 20 sec countdown, I was looking at 16.0 on the AFR gauge.... way too lean.

That is the upper limit I have set to display on the Autometer Wideband AFR so I really don't know what it was, I just know its too lean. I won't idle, just shuts off, but will start right back up again.

Double checked all the vacuum hoses and everything is connected correctly. and if there was a vacuum leak the idle would be waay up. I know that from experience.

One of the things I did while I "was in there" was switch out the 037 ECU for a 044 ECU I had purchased. The 037 being used on both the 1.7 and 2.0 in 1973 and the 044 being used on the 1974 2.0

Also set the valves and changed the oil.

I left the MPS as I had it set using the 037 ECU and it was richened considerable to get it to run good. I really had expected it to be to rich for the 044 ECU also.

These are the MPS specs from P Anders site.

Attached Image

For comparison this is what mine was set at.

0 Hg 1.51
4 Hg 1.34
15 Hg 0.85

Richer than the chart but worked for my engine mods.

2056 w/ Raby 9590 cam and HAM RS+ heads D-jet 2.0 FI system 123 Ignition.

Looks like my next step will be to put the 037 ECU back on and see what that gives me.

I had unplugged the O2 sensor when I removed the engine and it would probably register a failure if the wire wasn't plugged back in right. I had changed the 123 dizzy setting from 1 to 2 which was the recommended setting for the 044 ECU but that would not / should not affect the mixture.

I thought that the ECUs usually did not fail and the engine did run but I wonder if I got a bad one??

What else would cause this.

Well down to the garage to switch out the ECUs , I'll report back later.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 08:00 AM