Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Measuring deck height on a dish, looks like a wrist pin bore issue
bbrock
post Apr 2 2019, 10:01 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I searched and couldn't find an answer about where on a dished piston to measure the deck height. I have Euro spec Mahle "flat top" pistons for 8.0 compression, but in reality, they have a slight dish in them. I'm following Tom Wilson's book and he just says to measure them "at the crown."

I measured deck height with the single metal gasket/shims that came with the gasket kit installed only because they are already on there and I just wanted to see if I was close. Deck heights at the center range from .052" to .07" which seemed like a decent starting point but height out at the edges is only .02". Of course, I can get any number in between depending on where I measure. I just want to make sure I have the right clearance.

Also, how important is it to cc and calculate precise compression for a street ride? I'm just looking for a reliable engine and not concerned about squeezing every HP out of the motor UNLESS it will improve fuel efficiency without sacrificing reliability. I'm happy to go through the drill if results in a better engine for my needs, but reading Wilson's book, it seems the important thing is to have enough clearance to keep the valves and piston tops safely apart.

Finally, is it normal/acceptable/desireable to mix and match barrel base shims to even out variances in deck height?

Any advice welcome. I just get confused trying to separate basic build best practices from performance tuning.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:36 PM