Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Camshaft Mystery SOLVED!, Elgin 6408 - what can you tell me about it?
bbrock
post Apr 6 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

After 2 years of trying to find the specs on my camshaft, they were under my nose the whole time. I was putting in an oil pump on my engine and decided to peek at the camshaft to see if there were any stamps that would help solve the mystery. Sure enough, there it was! It reads 'ELGIN 6408'.

Attached Image

So what does it mean? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I had my cam reground in the late 80s through Automotion. They sold this grind as their "Mild Street Grind" and recommended it for carbs. Google turned up two hits on this cam. Below are the specs from Elgin Cams web site. The description is a little vague to me but it seems to say this grind can work for either carbs or FI but will run rough on the FI (I assume that would be the idle). I know what lift and duration are but know nothing about how they affect carb/FI performance. Is this a decent cam for carbs on a street car?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:08 AM