Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oh shift, Cause of shifting woes is quite apparent
vintage914racer
post Sep 17 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

This past weekend I took my 914-6 vintage racer to the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival at Road America. My car ran great up to the final feature race on Sunday. Long story short, I was running up front in fourth behind a couple high-budget, blazing fast 911s when my clutch pedal went to the floor while downshifting in a heavy braking zone. I was able to pull it back and regain normal operation for a lap or two when it happened again and sidelined me for the rest of the race.

Attached Image

Well, tonight I pulled the tranny to assess the damage and the problem is clear -- a blown clutch. It now sits on my bench in three pieces.

Attached Image

I have a few questions for the wrenches wiser than me on these forums:

1) Should I be concerned about some underlying issue causing the failure?
2) Is it worth upgrading to a lightened flywheel and racing clutch kit? My understanding is these early flywheels are pretty light to begin with. For reference, the car is running a 2.5l six putting out somewhere around 250hp.
3) Given the state of the clutch and what was spinning around on the flywheel, is it reasonable to think the current can be resurfaced, or am I destined for a new flywheel?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 10:06 PM