Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Squealing with Joy, Squeaky wheel gets the grease
N8T914
post Nov 24 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,662
Region Association: Southern California

Hello, I am new to the forum, and a newly minted owner of a non mint 73 1.7 914!
The car is virtually rust free, has a rebuilt carbureted and bored engine as well as rebuilt transmission. It has also undergone the addition of fiberglass gt flares. On the whole I am over the moon with the new acquisition. I had it checked by a mechanic who bled the brakes, smoothed out the shifting, and put in a new wheel lug, as the one installed was to short. Other than that it got a clean bill of health. If the picture attached to the post you can see that it is in need of paint and an eventual 5 lug conversion and some proper wheels.
In the meantime I will happily roost around in its rat rod state

The consistent problem: on almost every drive, barring the test drive and the drive the mechanic took it on. 10 t0 15 minutes into my drive time the car starts squealing like mad! I can get the squealing to stop by pulling over, the sound will stop shortly before I come to a complete stop, after a complete stop the squeal will stop for the next 1 to 3 minutes of driving, and then return.

I am checking in to the forum to see if anyone has in countered the same issue?
My auto mechanic skills are pretty dismal, so just looking for a starting point, my assumption is the sound is coming from one of the rear wheels, but not sure as to why the squealing doesn’t start until 15 minutes into the drive? Tomorrow I will try setting and releasing the e brake to see if that helps. I would be grateful of any ideas, as even if it is something I can’t do myself it may save me a few bucks if the mechanic doesn’t have to drive around for a half an hour on my dime.

Attached Image

I started sorting few things on the car today, new trunk seal and rear bulk head seal, new targa top holders for the trunk. Thanks 914rubber! I did try to put in the horizontal targa top window seal, and had a hell of a time. I hear glycerin soap helps so I will try that tomorrow, any other tips on inserting the seals?

Love the forum, already many hours spent and many more to come!Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:00 PM