Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Test Run Engine Without Tin, To See If Anything is Leaking
motorvated
post Mar 10 2020, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

As I'm finishing up the top end rebuild of my 2.0 Liter Type IV engine, I'm starting to plan for test running it out of the car on the ground supported by the engine bar and a tranny on some sort of wooden blocks to keep it off the ground. My question is whether or not it is OK to leave the engine tin off for now so that I can easily see the source of any oil leaks. I already have installed the fan shroud and fan, but these also could be removed easily so I could see leaks coming from the new front main seal, oil pump housing, and oil pressure relief valve housing. No alternator yet installed. I wouldn't be running it very long in this condition, and certainly would not want to overheat it by doing this. Anyone have any experience doing this and/or have any opinions about this? The tin located behind the pushrod tubes is installed and will remain in place. It's the new pushrod tube seals that I'm most worried about leaking. I'll be able to see if the new rear main seal is leaking when I pull the tranny off of it after the test. Leaking valve covers would be obvious too. What do you think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 12:43 PM