Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How can I tell if my alternator is failing?
andreic
post Mar 14 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A week ago I had trouble starting my 914-4. This was after driving it for an hour, and then leaving it in my garage for half a day. I started it by pushing it. Drove it for an hour and parked it in the underground garage.

Today, tried to start it, again same issue. Won't start. Took it to a battery shop, where they measured the battery and said it looked good, but that my charging voltage is low (they measured 13.1 volts, even with me revving the engine). Drove it home, measured again at home the voltage at battery with the engine revved up, 12.6 volts.

Tried replacing the voltage regulator (had a spare one at home), same exact result.

Before I launch into replacing the alternator, what else should I check, and in what order? What are easy steps of things to check?

Thanks,
Andrei.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 08:21 PM