Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HOT HOT HOT, Taking out the cooler to stem a leak and clean it
ctc911ctc
post Jul 14 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

All Teeners!

914, 2.0, 1974, 25K miles.......All Stock

It has been a good summer so far, the 914 was running great with the exception of getting a bit too hot on a hot day. When the engine would get real hot it would not idle correctly. It would stall, etc.

Sooo, in this forum a few months ago someone commented to me that I should drop the engine and clean the oil cooler (it looked grimy in a picture I posted) allowing it to run cooler for the summer.

The engine has never been dropped and my son broke the clutch (turned out to be the clevis) so I put it on the rack and did the deed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Well, seems that the entire car is built around the oil cooler. To get the cooler out you have to

drop the engine
Remove all of the stuff on the passenger side of the engine
Remove the Distributor
Remove the tin (why is it held in place with flat head slotted screws instead of 10mm bolts like everything else? )
remove the oil filter
remove the oil filter bracket (this was a real pistol, removing one of the nuts took an hour)
Un bolt the oil cooler (two long bolts a 1/2 turn at a time)
Oil cooler does not come out (wiggle it for 30 min)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Seems that the mounting bracket bolt was 1/4 inch too long,,,,grrrr,,,,,grrrrr,,,,,

BANG

I was finally able to get it out.......whew...........

THEN I find that though it was covered with oil, none of the baffles were dirty. They were all clear and free of grime!

I am asking this advanced group of 914 experts,,,,,,,,other than plugging the oil leaks (which were somewhat minor but getting the car and my garage dirty) what would you do to chase down a hot running 914 while the engine is out?

BTW it runs real sweet........though a bit hot.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:51 AM