Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> ECU Substitution?, Using 1974 ECU in a 1973
ThinAir
post Jul 16 2020, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

My stock 1973 2.0L has developed a problem. Intermittently, the engine will start stumbling and then die. Sometimes reseating the 14 pin connector/harness on the relay board will get things going. Other times I have to just let it sit for awhile. I've noticed recently that when this happens it also smells like it is flooded and when starting it I have to floor the accelerator.

A long time ago I had a similar problem with my son's 1970 that ultimately was resolved by replacing the ECU. Hence the following question:

I have available a working 1974 ECU. I'm wondering if I can swap ECUs with no other modifications to see if the problem goes away and stays away. Brad Anders' FI page states that the 1973 should use only a particular ECU, but in his chart of the preferred setup he states to use the 1974 ECU. Would it be harmful to any component to swap the ECUs and test my theory?

This problem came up just before leaving for a summer road trip and I won't be able to work on it until just before Labor Day, but I'm hoping to figure out a direction now so that I can jump on it when I get back home and get the car ready for the RRC.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 07:24 AM