Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Found the major source of Oil Leakage, I was told to look there a few times, but it was hard to get to and see
ctc911ctc
post Jul 27 2020, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

'74 2.0

When I got the car I was told to change EVERY gasket that had to do with oil and gas. I took a more targeted approach.

Though I changed all of the gas lines (stainless), I addressed the oil leaks as follows:

I first changed the push rod tubes
- thsi helped but there were still leaks

I then changed the oil cooler gaskets WITHOUT TAKING THE ENGINE OUT
- this is a level 5 of 5 manoeuver. It is not a procedure, kinda like a triple Lindy
- still leaked

I thought I saw a dribble from the cam covers
- changed the gaskets (twice, long story) and there were still leaks

I then pulled the engine

Attached Image

Seems this seam was keeping the washer from seating right

Attached Image

Part of the washer worked and the rest just leaked. Yes, I could have wrenched it tighter that may have helped. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Instead I did this:

Attached Image

Though I read about an engine build where the guy mounted the block on his bridgeport and took care of this. I went at it with a little file, collecting EVERY tiny filing as they came off the block

Will report back as to the effectiveness of this, I also am considering modifying the engine tin so I can mount the pressure combo switch right on the block - get rid of the extension hose.

However, I can report that there was oil all over the engine from this point down the front and then trailed to the back of the car.....sigh.....

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:26 PM