Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shift linkage fix -6 conversion:, back on the road
Retroracer
post Dec 6 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All - so on the way home from WCR2020 I noticed issues with shifting in the 1st/reverse plane, accompanied by what felt like metal / metal contact (grinding). For reference, its an early chassis (1970) previously converted (in a former life) to side shift. I made it home and found the following:

The link rod as it sits in the bulkhead has a 24.8mm dia., and when I did the -6 conversion I replaced the nylon bushing with a new one and assumed all was well....! The recent failure seemed to be the new bushing had deformed/worn, allowing the front linkage to scrape internally when the shift lever was pushed hard over to the left.

I ordered one of the Tangerine Racing spherical bushings, which - on the surface - seemed like the perfect part for the job. When the part arrived, it was clearly designed for a narrower diameter shaft at the bulkhead exit. I extracted the front linkage to examine, and it has been modified with what looks like an outer tube welded over the narrower internal bar - so the bigger diameter is only for 6" or so. So - questions the group brain for best solution:

1) Do I have to de-modify (in other words find a stock) front shift linkage to make it work with the TR spherical bush? Don't think having the outer turned down in a lathe is a great idea...
2) Is there an alternate larger dia bushing that lasts longer than the 6000 miles of the nylon one from a known good source? Then I can keep the front linkage bar as is....
3) should that front linkage actually be straight? Or should there be some kind of kink in it to avoid that internal interference in the central tunnel? (and hence less pressure/wear on the bushing)
4) Should I try and ream out the TR spherical bushing to accept the larger tube? <grimace emoji> Am hesitant to try this as I think the front shaft is the issue not the bushing design.

Any and all wisdom and/or pointers to reference posts welcome

- Tony

Pics of the modified front link for reference:

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Retroracer   Shift linkage fix -6 conversion:   Dec 6 2020, 03:47 PM
ChrisFoley   That looks like part of an early tailshift rod, wh...   Dec 7 2020, 09:58 AM
Retroracer   That looks like part of an early tailshift rod, w...   Dec 7 2020, 10:00 AM
Luke M   That looks like part of an early tailshift rod, ...   Dec 7 2020, 10:14 AM
mepstein   That looks like part of an early tailshift rod, ...   Dec 7 2020, 10:29 AM
ChrisFoley   So - anyone have a spare early tail shift front ...   Dec 7 2020, 04:55 PM
Retroracer   Or... in the above photos: is that tube likely jus...   Dec 7 2020, 09:59 AM
ChrisFoley   is that tube likely just slid over the original s...   Dec 7 2020, 04:54 PM
mepstein   I might have the side shift rod. I’ll check tomo...   Dec 7 2020, 05:04 PM
rhodyguy   The rest of the linkage assem is SS?   Dec 7 2020, 05:10 PM
Retroracer   @ChrisFoley - oops, thx for the correction. [b]...   Dec 7 2020, 06:07 PM
Cairo94507   I second Bruce - I just returned a set of shift ro...   Dec 7 2020, 06:43 PM
mepstein   Tony- here’s what I have. Tell me what you want ...   Dec 8 2020, 04:56 PM
ChrisFoley   The two ziptied together don't belong together...   Dec 8 2020, 05:00 PM
Retroracer   @ChrisFoley - thx for the ID'ing the line up ...   Dec 8 2020, 08:28 PM
mepstein   Tony - Sounds good.   Dec 8 2020, 09:41 PM
JmuRiz   Mark, feel like getting rid of one of the side-shi...   Dec 9 2020, 10:27 AM
mepstein   Mark, feel like getting rid of one of the side-sh...   Dec 24 2020, 05:30 PM
Retroracer   Follow up: so the new front link rod arrived from ...   Dec 24 2020, 05:01 PM
mepstein   BTW, Jim Kelly from Delaware gave me the shift rod...   Dec 24 2020, 05:35 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:12 AM