Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MPS Spacer - I'm confused,, and that's happening more often lately!
adolimpio
post Feb 9 2021, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Art

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,449
Region Association: South East States

My 2.0 started stumbling lately and checked all of the usual suspects, including MPS leak down and seemed to be perfect. After spending some time reading through various posting I found numerous references to MPS diaphragm issues even though they tested ok, so I opened mine and found that the diaphragm was indeed cracked.

I have 2 1.7 MPS which also test OK, so I decided to open them to see if I could salvage their diaphragm, but just like the 2.0, they were both cracked even though they tested ok.

What confused me is that all 3 had the spacer intended for 2.0s. The 2.0 was a 037 and both 1.7s were 049s and all had rivets intact so they had not been opened.

I measure the thickness of all 3 at 0.024, and a picture is shown below. Do I have it correct, is this the spacer intended to provide more latitude for adjustment in 2.0s? Any idea why they would have been in 049s?

I guess the issue with testing Ok, but still being cracked makes buying a used MPS that states "holds vacuum" risky. Being 50 years old, we should probably assume that used one will need to be rebuilt.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:11 AM