Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Charging light anomaly **UPDATE**
whiterabbit
post Mar 30 2021, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Rust Saver

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,014
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been browsing this site for awhile, as I restore my '75 914. I'm mostly done, just working on finishing touches and some drivability issues. You guys have been a huge help but the details of my current issue has me stumped. Below is a summary of the issue:

1-With key OUT of the ignition the charging light is "ON" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
2- Key in on position, the charging light turns "OFF", oil light turns "ON"
3- Engine Running, charging light is "OFF"
4- Engine running, voltage regulator plugged in, voltage at battery reads 12.4 volts (not charging).
5- Engine running, voltage regulator unplugged & jumper between D+/DF voltage at battery reads 12.6-12.8 volts (still not really charging).
6-Occasionally, ignition key needs to be cycled several times before the starter is triggered to start the car (probably unrelated?)
7-Charging light turns "OFF" when alternator plug (specifically DF connection) is disconnected from relay board.

Background info: New alternator 100 miles ago, belt tight, newer voltage regulator, new alternator wiring harness, newer ignition switch, transmission to trunk floor ground strap clean and tight. 20 miles ago, the charging system was working as it should.

My theory: Alternator failure! But I don't want to throw parts at the situation if there are other clues in points 1-7 above.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:25 PM