Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can't shift into 4th and 5th gear
dcheek
post Oct 2 2021, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,103

As my topic title states I can't get 4th and 5th gear.

A little background:
I have a bone stock 1976 914 with 26000 miles. I'm the original owner.
I had this trouble a couple of months ago and found that the conical screw on the shift rod coupling by the firewall had worked out. While I was at it I discovered the nylon bushing and cup in the shift console by the trans were toast. I replaced them and put everything back together and all was good. Also, the bushing on the firewall was fine. Then I started to have issues grinding reverser going from 1st to 2nd. Then it got to the point that I couldn't get 4 th or 5th. So I put the car back on the lift and checked all the above mentioned items I replaced. They all were tight and intact.

So, I'm thinking it has something to do with the gearshift lever up front?? Maybe the coupling up front is not tight? It does feel like the shifter lever has more slop than before.

I'm pretty sure the trans is okay since it has very low mileage.

Is checking the shift lever up front the most logical place to start the diagnosis of the problem?

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:59 AM