Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine out, or just drop transmission?, The clock is ticking
PDXMike
post Oct 7 2021, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Slowly Learning

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,501
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All,

I just got the car put back together last week and got it DEQ'ed and legal yesterday. The goal is to head out for a 2200 mile WCR trip on Wednesday. The problem is that I now have a pretty substantial oil leak either at the rear main seal or the transmission input seal. I don't know for sure which, but I'm leaning towards the transmission. I recently replaced both seals.

This whole thing is a little bit soul crushing, as the main reason I pulled the engine in the first place was to fix push rod and other misc. leaks. Now I have new ones. Yay.

So do I just drop the transmission, or should I pull the whole drivetrain back out? Do I really save any effort doing just the transmission? If I find out that it's actually the main seal leaking, can I replace that relatively easily with the engine in place?

Thanks,

Mike

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 02:37 AM