Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Blown Rotor on 050 Bosch dizzy, Resistor blown on rotor - why?
Gatornapper
post Dec 6 2021, 06:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Fellow 914'ers -

Two years ago Brandt sold me a great and rare 050 dizzy that instantly made my old 2.0 run better than ever.

I've run it hard for 4,000 miles with no problem. I have run an MSD in the car since it had one when I got it, but I did replace it with a new one a few months ago.

The old cap showed wear so I put in the new cap when I installed the 050, but the rotor looked good so I used it.

Engine died suddenly and wouldn't start last Saturday (27th) and I found this:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1638838169.1.JPG)

Resistor in the rotor blown to smithereens. After 2 years and 4k miles.

Thankfully is was an old rotor that came in the dizzy, but Brandt also included a new cap and rotor - both hard to find. So the new rotor will go in tomorrow. Cap looks fine.

My question is: what blew this rotor? Was it the MSD? Is the MSD voltage too high for this rotor? Or was it just old and had lived out its life?

Due to the uniqueness of the 050, I'm pretty certain a rotor w/o the resistor cannot be found.

Thoughts from the braintrust are greatly appreciated.

Thinking of soldering in a wire where resistor was tho I'm not sure it can take the heat. Also will carry a spare rotor with me in the car.

GN
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 09:44 AM