Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Swap the swap?, V8 to H6 Conversion Needed?
stoked_on_spool
post Aug 7 2022, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,748
Region Association: Southern California

Hello 914world!

I've been a long time lurker (literally years and years) as I was just prepping for a time in life where I'd actually have the space and time to work on and build a 914. I ended up purchasing a 1974 914 from another forum member here just a week or so ago that had, among many other great enhancements, an early Renegade Hybrids swap with a 350 sbc (fuel injected) and a 915 transmission.

Fast forward just a few short days after purchase and I manage to completely shear what I believe is the output flange on the trans while stomping on the loud pedal (doing about 20 mph in 2nd gear) giving some coworkers rides after work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) It has a Quiafe LSD installed and I'm not sure if it's exploded internally or not, but I have no forward or reverse drive anymore, the transmission itself still shifts into each gear as well as it did before and the engine is fine, but it won't move under its own power anymore.

I bought this car for the rust repair that's already been completed, in addition to the full 911 suspension, chassis reinforcement, big brakes, flares, MS3, etc. This is going to be my street legal track car. I don't race, but I want to build this thing so it's reliable enough to get through multiple 20-30 min track sessions in a day.

I'd love to find a transmission shop here in San DIego who could help rebuild my 915 as I planned on driving this car "as-is" to get familiar with it and iron out areas of improvement while I slowly collected the pieces to ultimately do a watercooled H6 swap. Depending on what prices come back for rebuilding my 915 I may just be jumping straight into the flat 6 swap. I have megasquirt 3 with the car already so I was leaning towards the EZ30R engine, but I'm open to all of the suggestions and input from the 914 world community. I don't want to do forced induction though so I'm leaning towards the family of EG and EZ motors. It'll have plenty of power, eliminate the vague 915 shifting mechanism installed on this car, and ideally provide some worry free motoring for a while once everythings been ironed out.

I'll get some pics of the car up later today, and the damage that is now my unattached axle-to-transmission. lol. Gotta go upload them all to imgur to host them. Here's a link to the car I purchased, and no, the PO was not hiding anything. He is a very stand up guy and the car ran as great as advertised. I just didn't realize the limitation of the part and the torque of this V8... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=360278

Looking forward to this journey as I've been dreaming about 914's since one was almost my first car as a young 16 yr old and now all I want to do is get this thing back on its feet!

-Bret
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 10:32 PM