Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> No idle when hot - or starting, request for assistance
ltex
post Aug 5 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,535

Greetings,

1972 914 runs great when cold. Idles good, goes good.

Once it's hot (especially if it's a hot day), have to keep the foot on the gas pedal at stops or the idle drops to zero.

Then I have to flutter the gas pedal to get it back up. Have to hold it at around 2000 to keep it happy. Runs sickly until it get over about 2000 rpm, then run fine again ... until the next stop.

I can generally prevent this by keeping the idle at around 1200 or so, but that is just so I can get around.

Also, when hot, turn car off, turn car on, no cranking.

Fuel system is clean, tank has been drained and cleaned.

Brain has been replaced and tests good. ( Made a big difference, too! )

MPS has been replaced.

I've been having trouble with the fuel pump relay on the control board as well. Thinking about reaming out the contact points with a dremel tool and using dielectric grease. The relays are fine. When I have trouble, I swap the FP relay with any other and it's fine for the rest of that day.

Ground straps from battery and transmission have been removed. Straps and connection points cleaned and shined, and dielectric grease used during reassembly.

I will try setting the idle mixture knob on the ECU up a couple clicks to see if that helps the idle problem or not.

I hate having to go somewhere and wonder if I will be stuck there waiting for the car to cool off so it will start/run.

With the idle problem (which make the car flutter at low rpms .. e.g. have to really flutter the gas pedal to get it going), it's tough to push start.

I understand that these two problems, although related by heat, may not be related to each other in any other way.

I read a thread about the starter problem may be solved by replacing the ignition switch (a second switch would verify this), or by using an old Ford solenoid. Already did the ground strap cleaning bit. Any thoughts?

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated. I never would have thought that a car with less than 80 horsepower would be so much fun!

Thanks,

Lonny
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 06:06 AM