Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shifter adjustment issues? 914/6
HDC
post Jan 5 2023, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,360
Region Association: None

Hi, I have been lurking for a while but I don't think I have posted yet.

A couple of years back I purchased a project a 914/6 with a 71 911S engine, I drove it a couple of times and parked it. One of the issues it had was that the shifting was all around. A few weeks ago I tried to revive it, but the engine was leaking oil badly, so I send it to a local shop (not Porsche experts) to change the leaking oil lines and just getting the engine to work smoothly. I also asked them to look into the shifting issues and purchased a shift bushing kit.

Now the part of not being Porsche experts has come into play, they somehow managed to mess the shifting completely. I now only have 2 gears. What seems like first (or maybe 2nd?) and reverse...

If I try to get into first gear, left and back I get reverse. If I try to get reverse I get first (or is it 2nd?). I can get the car moving perfectly well but after that I can't shift to any of the other gears, I just get a terrible grinding noise. If I stop the car and try to engage 3rd, I get reverse, same with 5th. If I try to engage 2nd or 4th (still with the car standing still), it gets difficult but once they go in I get...reverse again!

Any idea what could have gone wrong? Is this an adjustment issue? Is there anyway to get the gear selector mechanism installed wrong?

Can someone point to an explanation of how the shifting mechanism should be adjusted?

I'll really appreciate your help

Thanks

Henry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:26 PM