Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The RocketMonkey 914
RocketMonkey
post May 18 2023, 06:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,231
Region Association: England

I thought I’d start a thread to say introduce myself and my newly acquired 914.

I’ve owned air-cooled VW’s for years so the 'fourteen isn’t unfamiliar territory, but obviously all cars have their own mechanical nuances and quirks so I’m hoping to gather some input from the group along the way to ease the journey and save a bit of solitary head scratching.

I purchased the car as a non-runner due to the previous owner losing commitment to work through the fuel injection issues he was experiencing. He got as far as stripping the injection system out and bolting on a pair of brand new Webber carbs, but didn’t get as far as trying to sort out connecting fuel lines, fuel pump or ignition before the poor thing got abandoned to sit unloved in a barn in deepest darkest Hampshire.

Thankfully all the FI components removed came with the car, along with a few extra used parts the previous owner purchased during their attempts to get it running so I’m hoping I can go through it all systematically and reinstate the fuel injection again having read on this forum that a straight switch to carburettors without a change of cam isn’t ideal.

The car otherwise is relatively up together. It’s suffering slightly from lack of use, so I’ll go through it from a safety perspective before it hits the road again but I’m hoping this won’t take too long as the summer is here and I’d like to use it!

For those with long memories the car may be familiar as it was originally imported into the UK by a 914world forum member who I was able to track down thanks to a bit of sleuthing initiated from these very pages. I’m not sure I would have picked the car up as a non-runner with the same confidence had it not been for the invaluable input from the man who is lennyhope on here, I know it left his custodianship in good shape so a big thanks to him for his help.

Anyway, enough talking and time for some pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

These are the images saved from the original advert. They did the car no favours at all, it just looked a bit sorry for itself. Nevertheless, they were my first impression of the 914 so it seems befitting that they should also start this thread, a before and after if you will as the project develops...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

A deal was done; however, it was going to be a few weeks until I could get the car delivered to home so I had a smaller one delivered to my desk via eBay to tide me over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Finally, the day arrived to pull it out the barn...

Attached Image

Attached Image

and a few hours later it's home at last!

Attached Image

This was the first time I really got to get a good look around the car and on the whole it's not bad at all so I'm very pleased with it. It's not perfect by any means and there are many small jobs aside of the obvious fuel issue but all being well it shouldn't take too much to bring it back to a very useable car.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

So that's it for now, there will be plenty more to follow and many questions will be asked of the group along the way.

I'm currently in two minds whether to get it running on the carbs first which seems like the easiest option with the intention to refit the fuel injection after the summer when I have a bit more time, or whether to try and reinstall the fuel injection straight away. Either way, initially there are a few little jobs that I'd like to complete for some easy wins to get the ball rolling before I get too stuck into it.

Let the project commence!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
RocketMonkey   The RocketMonkey 914   May 18 2023, 06:18 AM
DRPHIL914   :wttc: wow that looks really clean, someone did ...   May 18 2023, 06:33 AM
Cairo94507   :wttc: That really looks like a terrific starting ...   May 18 2023, 07:07 AM
bahnzai   Be forewarned…once in the 914, you will not go b...   May 18 2023, 07:21 AM
NARP74   Welcome! For advice I'd say do what ever ...   May 18 2023, 08:20 AM
BillJ   Try to get it going with FI. The cam is all wrong...   May 18 2023, 08:20 AM
krazykonrad   :wttc: What are the 1st 3 numbers of the VIN? you ...   May 18 2023, 09:52 AM
burton73   :wttc: you are at the right place for help on yo...   May 18 2023, 10:08 AM
r_towle   :wttc: Any questions you have can be answered wi...   May 18 2023, 11:09 AM
campbellcj   :wttc: I agree - looks like a really nice driver/...   May 19 2023, 07:15 AM
bkrantz   Cool color!   May 19 2023, 08:01 PM
porschetub   I thought I’d start a thread to say introduce m...   May 20 2023, 04:28 PM
emerygt350   Awesome car. I would get the numbers off the bl...   May 20 2023, 06:35 PM
emerygt350   In fact, did 73 have the rubber bumper and umm err...   May 20 2023, 06:37 PM
wonkipop   In fact, did 73 have the rubber bumper and umm er...   May 20 2023, 07:21 PM
RocketMonkey   depends how rocket monkey is identifying his car ...   May 22 2023, 03:32 PM
wonkipop   depends how rocket monkey is identifying his car...   May 22 2023, 04:06 PM
Mikey914   My money is on 73   May 22 2023, 01:54 AM
Root_Werks   Looks like a fun project! I like the color co...   May 23 2023, 02:32 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:47 PM