Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Order of Things, What should I do first?
Bigdamdork
post Aug 4 2023, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,476
Region Association: Central California

Sorry, two posts in one day. Earlier I figured out I realistically need to drop my engine before getting into any of the other bodywork. I'm manufacturing some door braces this weekend and will put those in place so I can start working on the longitudinal eventually. Therein lies my problem. The longitudinal is smoked on the bottom all the way up to the jack point. So is the jack point underneath. (I measured windshield to back post and I'm at 25 1/8 still so it's not sagging at least) I put a jack on the jack point to see if it would take any weight, and it immediately started bending up so I stopped. Any suggestions on how I get this thing up in the air high enough to get the motor out? I think I saw someone put a 4x4 across the bottom on one then jack stands on the 4X4 but even that makes me a little nervous.

Dumb question, do I just weld some plates under the longitudinal and make a temporary jack point? If I do this eventually I'll have to figure out how to still support it as I begin to replace the long in the future.

I'm always looking for options....is there anyone in CA that does this kind of repair? I feel pretty confident in the mechanical aspects but w/o a rotisserie this all feels pretty daunting. I'm not a big welder and don't mind trailering her to someone and paying them to at least fix the longitudinal. Don't know if that is even an option. Kind of want to do it myself but also trying to be realistic with options.

Thanks as usual for any suggestions. What you do if this was your first restore?

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 04:12 PM